Open position: Co-Founder, VP Engineering/R&D
Company: Zero-One Location: Berlin (no-remote) Start date: Flexible
Our Vision is access to all the data in the world through a single access-point.
The problem we solve is the lack of access to data which is free, commercial, global in any industry.
Our Solution – Building the Internet-of-Data, an AI-based network and platform enabling the search, find and access of any data asset in the world. We are currently focusing on healthcare & life-science data (e.g, access to genomic and real-world-evidence data in Oncology). The platform includes a public data-exchange and a private data-exchange for open and closed commercial data transactions, respectively.
Why we do what we do
Data is currently the most valuable and critical asset that drives innovation across sectors (e.g., for AI and analytics), For us at Zero-One, access to data means the core of innovation, especially when it comes to health and life-science data. Here are some examples of what we care about:
- Detection of health issues and customized intervention, e.g, via DNA analysis before and during pregnancy to prevent complications for mothers or their children.
- Prevention of potential health issues, e.g., via new drug development and personalized treatments to cure so-far incurable diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer or Diabetes;
- Improving population health through the understanding and changing the conditions that determine them. e.g., creating nutrition and health programs for developing countries or worse-off communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience.
- Hands-on programming experience.
- 10 years of relevant industry experience, with 5 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience (managing teams of 4 or more developers).
- Large scale systems design experience.
- Experience in founding or working in early stage-startups
- Experience creating product, go-to-market and growth strategies
- Experience planning and executing multiple, complex technology development projects including P&L management
- Experience working with AI
- Experience working with Open Source tools and frameworks
- Experience with fast-paced product development and iterations
- Experience managing outsource service providers
- Comfortable talking about product matters with sales and marketing people, and the ability to express complex concepts in plain language to reach broader audiences
- Experience in big data related operations, especially health and life-science data
- A-player: you are in the top 10% of your category. You are unique. You are looking for breakthroughs and freedom to express your ideas, energy and skills.
- Self-learner, self-mover, creative by nature (you naturally come up and create new stuff without being told-to or guided)
- Nice, team player, likes doing more than talking
- You are not in love with programming and over-engineering but with getting stuff done for the success of the company
- Not jumping between projects
- Able to manage yourself and lead without being lead
- Like challenges, the bigger they are the better you get
- You work under the maximax principle: success is a result of always doing the extra and there’s always an extra
- You want to have your own company
- You want to make an Exit in 3 years
- Manage software engineering and perform hands-on tasks with full-stack development, task planning and code reviews. Until we hire programmers you are in charge of doing whatever programming you can before outsourcing it.
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution and success of complex products and technical projects.
- Contribute technically to projects.
- Manage product management until a dedicated person will be hired to do this. Ensure we’re building the right and best products.
- In partnership with the executive team, drive company success through an aggressive business-oriented product approach and an overall strategic view.
- Understand markets, competition, tech trends and user requirements in depth.
- Plan and launch new products and features, test their performance, and iterate quickly, while reviewing and using existing tech platform, solutions and tools.
- Work collaboratively with sales, marketing, legal, UX, etc.
- Set up and manage company communication systems, marketing tools, data privacy and security.
- Communicate the company’s product & technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors who will implement as needed.
- Establish and supervise a quality assurance process, including integration and system testing.
- Set up and monitor a web analytics to measure site traffic and application usage relative to business goals.
- Reporting – develop, track, and control the development and deployment per annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- Supervise recruitment, training, retention, and organization of all product and development team staff.
What you can expect:
- Initial compensation is equity-based. We are starting a large funding round in February. Salaries depend on revenue growth (there are existing customers and the pipeline is growing) or the financing round.
- Work from office in a co-working space in Berlin. Good team dynamics is THE base.
- Professional growth potential per your and the company’s performance – we’re looking for someone to run a marathon with us that ends in a Billion dollar Exit.
More about Zero-One:
- You will be coming in to an ongoing operation slightly rebranded, evolving from two previous companies and 6 year run. You will be picking up and improving on existing work in one of the most relevant fields today.
- There is an MVP.
- The CEO is an experienced entrepreneur who previously founded four ventures. The Chief Business Officer has 15 years of experience in both B2B and B2C.
- There are existing product history and knowledge, market knowledge, best practices, access to customers, partners and investors.
- We are an A-team and are looking for serious, professional A-players.
- We’re building an enterprise for an exit in ~3 years, not a mobile app.
- Customer Obsession – we start with the customer and work backwards. We work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust. Although we pay attention to competitors, they obsess over customers.
- “Institutional Yes” creates a bias towards “yes” and action – speed matters in business. Many decisions and actions are reversible and do not need extensive study. We value calculated risk taking. To succeed we test and implement the greatest number of ideas possible by maximizing the number of experiments we do per unit of time.
- Ownership – We own our work. We think long term and don’t sacrifice long-term value for short-term results. We act on behalf of the entire company, beyond just our own team. We never say “that’s not my job.”
- Invent and Simplify – We expect and require innovation and invention from our teams and always find ways to simplify. We are externally aware, look for new ideas from everywhere, and are not limited by “not invented here.” As we do new things, we accept that we may be misunderstood for long periods of time.
- We Are Right, A Lot – We are right a lot. We have strong business judgment and good instincts. We seek diverse perspectives and work to disconfirm our beliefs.
- Learn and Be Curious – We are never done learning and always seek to improve ourselves. We are curious about new possibilities and act to explore them.
- Hire and Develop the Best – We raise the performance bar with every hire and promotion. We recognize exceptional talent, and willingly move them throughout the organization. We develop leaders and take seriously their role in coaching others. We work on behalf of our people to invent mechanisms for development.
- Insist on the Highest Standards – We have relentlessly high standards—many people may think these standards are unreasonably high. We are continually raising the bar and driving our teams to deliver high-quality products, services, and processes. We ensure that defects do not get sent down the line and that problems are fixed so they stay fixed.
- Think Big – Thinking small is a self-fulfilling prophecy. We create and communicate a bold direction that inspires results. We think differently and look around corners for ways to serve customers.
- Frugality – Accomplish more with less. Constraints breed resourcefulness, self-sufficiency and invention. There are no extra points for growing headcount, budget size, or fixed expense.
- Earn Trust – We listen attentively, speak candidly, and treat others respectfully. We are vocally self-critical, even when doing so is awkward or embarrassing. We do not believe our or our team’s body odor smells of perfume. We benchmark ourselves and our teams against the best.
- Dive Deep – We operate at all levels, stay connected to the details, audit frequently, and are skeptical when metrics and anecdote differ. No task is beneath us.
- Have Backbone; Disagree and Commit – We are obligated to respectfully challenge decisions when we disagree, even when doing so is uncomfortable or exhausting. We have conviction and are tenacious. We do not compromise for the sake of social cohesion. Once a decision is determined, we commit wholly.
- Deliver Results – We focus on the key inputs for our business and deliver them with the right quality and in a timely fashion. Despite setbacks, we rise to the occasion and never settle.
Apply (CV + cover letter): firstname.lastname@example.org